Special districts are created either by resolution of the Board of County Commissioners, by petition of local landowners or by the State Board of Agriculture through a petition of landowners. All of the above require public notification and some may require a referendum. The method of creation is determined by the type of District. Wyoming Statute: 22-29-103
Special District Board members are elected not appointed. Ad Valorem Taxes may be levied for funding upon voter approval.
- Water and Sewer Districts deadline: file no later than the 4th Monday in May
- Improvement and Service District deadline: file no later than the 4th Monday in July
The Assessor's Office requests the following documentation if you are using Teton County to collect fees and/or mills:
- Report the specific amount to be applied to each parcel. If you are collecting for more than 1 (example: water and meters) then the specific amount for each. The County Assessor will not determine this value for you, but instead will use your figures to balance.
- Total dollar amount to balance.
- List of properties to collect on. This list needs to include the Assessors account number (ex: R0000123) Please do not use the PIDN number (22-41-17…) or the tax ID (01-000123).
- Please notify, in writing, as soon as possible, if your special district will not require Teton County to be the collection agent for the current tax year.
- Current contact for the district including phone number and email address. These may be put on the website to direct taxpayers to if they have any questions concerning your district.
- A copy of your current budget.
- Information is easiest in excel form for balancing purposes.
- The above information SHOULD be emailed to email@example.com
All Wyoming Department of Revenue approved special districts are now available on our GIS mapping system. You can map the boundaries of the district (using the foreground layer labeled Special Districts) as well as generate a list of current ownership, mailing address, market value and assessed value from the following Special District List.
Any questions pertaining to the fees administered by a specific district should be directed to the district. All special district member and budget information can be found on the County Clerk's Special Districts webpage.